Sugar & Spice and everything nice

Q & A with Cheryl Crouch — assistant director of Marketing and Communications at the Indiana Memorial Union

What’s so great about the Indiana Memorial Union?

Well, we see ourselves as the heart of IU-Bloomington. We’re the hub of the campus. Basically we welcome everybody. We have students, faculty and staff. Alumni can come and connect with each other, and they can eat and relax. Students can study. They can eat. They can play. They can sleep. It’s just a really beloved building, and people just have really good memories of being in the building and, like I said, sleeping on the couch or getting cookies from Sugar and Spice. A lot of people get married in here who are alum of IU. They come to concerts. They come to lectures.

What seems to be a student favorite at the IMU?

Oh, wow. I think coming to Sugar and Spice and getting their cookies. I think sleeping on the couches or on the floor. Bowling. Going to the films put on by the Union Board. I think just, well, we started Late Night a few years ago, and that’s becoming very popular with 
students. It’s on Friday nights from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Starbucks is very popular. People like to come and get a beverage and study in the area around 
Starbucks.

When was the IMU 
constructed?

The building was constructed in 1931 and in 1959, there was an addition put on that goes from the entrance of the bookstore and would include the hotel and meeting rooms and everything down there.

What’s your favorite thing to do there?

I like walking around and seeing all the students in the building. I think that’s very exciting. I have to say Sugar and Spice is probably a favorite of mine. I went to IU and when I was on campus, we always had to stay at the Union hotel. It was just something we had to do. I just like being in the building. There’s a lot going on. There’s a lot of vibrant activity. People that come here, you have so many coming. We’ve had famous people stay here, and I have had the opportunity to meet some of them. It’s just a good place to be. There’s no other place like it on campus.