crime & courts

One dead, 15 injured after Cincinnati nightclub shooting

Region Filler

CINCINNATI — One person is dead and 15 are injured after what may be the worst mass shooting so far in 2017.

Authorities investigating the shooting at Cameo nightclub in Cincinnati do not believe it to be a terrorist attack, according to a tweet from Cincinnati Assistant Police Chief Paul Neudigate. According to an Associated Press report, police believe the shooting occurred at about 1:30 a.m. and stemmed from an argument among several men inside the crowded nightclub.

No shooter has been identified, and no arrests have been made. Police most recently said several people fired shots inside the club, though the number has fluctuated throughout the day.

A 27-year-old man named O’Bryan Spikes was killed in the shooting, and two others are in critical condition, the AP reported. Several people are in stable condition or have already been released from the hospital.

With 16 people injured or killed, the incident is the largest mass shooting of this year, according to the Gun Violence Archive. The FBI defines a mass shooting as one with at least four 
victims.

Cincinnati Police Chief Eliot Isaac said the club wands and pats down patrons as they enter, according to the AP report. But a bystander told the Cincinnati Enquirer security was not screening patrons.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms is running emergency traces on firearms found at the scene, according to the 
Enquirer report.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich offered prayers and help from his administration in a pair of tweets Sunday 
morning.

The worst mass shooting in United States history came last year when a terrorist killed 49 people and wounded 53 others in an Orlando, Florida, LGBT 
nightclub.