weekend

Milky Chance hits stride with second album

Milky Chance's new album "Blossom" precedes its spring tour, which starts in April. 

One thing the world could use more of right now is good vibes.

In its second album, “Blossom,” Milky Chance provides listeners with just that: groovy, positive tunes that soothe and satisfy.

Lead vocalist Clemens Rehbein has one of those raspy, rough voices that scratches at the listener’s mind long after the final notes of his songs end — a voice that is able to complement many different beats.

Because of this ability, Milky Chance can take listeners on a journey with its music, and this album’s arc lives up to its name. “Blossom” swells and grows until the end, and it lends itself to multiple listenings just to hear the music flourish again.

The title track, which is also the first song on the album, builds up until listeners can feel the beat as if it is their own pulse, at which point Rehbein debuts his voice and reminds fans why they fell in love with Milky Chance in the first place.

Standout tracks on the album are “Firebird,” which Rehbein has said was inspired by his daughter, and “Cocoon,” which was one of the singles released prior to the full album.

“Firebird” conveys a sweet message that evokes a father/daughter relationship, but can be relatable to anyone who has ever felt powerful love, as highlighted in the chorus with the lines, “Just like a firebird is your heart / Keeps me warm and anchory in the stars.”

“Cocoon” offers a more upbeat, pop style, which is why it worked so well as a pre-released single. It is reminiscent of several songs from Milky Chance’s first album, “Sadnecessary,” and definitely fits within the duo’s sound but also offers a freshness that keeps the listener interested.

Perhaps the greatest thing about “Blossom” is the deluxe version of the album, which features six acoustic versions of songs off the album. Acoustic songs aren’t always better than the originals, but Milky Chance somehow makes it seem like one is listening to six completely new songs; they are softer, yes, but they are also rawer.

A fresh bloom of one’s favorite flower, one could say.

Overall, Milky Chance does exactly as artists should do with a sophomore album — remind fans why they wanted to listen in the first place, while maturing in the way time allows voices and musical choices to do.

It’s groovy, it’s lovely, and it’s the perfect album for spring, when everything is blossoming.