Matt Lloyd named Big Ten baseball player of the week

Sophomore Matt LLoyd is congratulated by his teammates at home plate after a 3-run home run in the first inning of Game 2 Saturday at Rocky and Bernice Miller Park. Matt Lloyd hit 4 home runs over the course of two games on Saturday.

For the second straight week, a Hoosier baseball player is the Big Ten player of the week. Sophomore utility player Matt Lloyd received this week’s distinction Monday as the conference’s best player.

Senior outfielder Alex Krupa took home Big Ten player of the week honors last week for IU, and in fact, this is the third week in a row that an IU baseball player has been honored by the Big Ten.

Pitcher Andrew Saalfrank earned Freshman of the Week honors two weeks ago.

Lloyd left his mark on the mound and at the plate during the Hoosiers’ 4-0 week, which included a 3-game sweep of Northwestern.

In Wednesday’s win against Cincinnati, a team that beat then-No. 1 Louisville in its most recent outing, Lloyd entered the game as the closing pitcher in the bottom of the eighth inning.

He completed a 4-out save to secure the win for IU.

In the weekend series against Northwestern, the first weekend of Big Ten play, Lloyd batted .643 with nine hits, four home runs — three of which came in one game — and 10 runs batted in, while crossing the plate six times.

He also pitched in two games and earned a save, which was his second of the week.