crime & courts

Man arrested on theft, fraud charges could face more

Region Filler

A man arrested after a suspicious activity complaint Wednesday could face several more charges because police believe he’s responsible for several vehicle break-ins.

Maliky Smith, 25, already faces felony fraud and drug possession charges and misdemeanors for theft, drug possession, vehicle entry and drug paraphernalia possession. Bloomington Police Department Capt. Steve Kellams said Smith will likely face 
additional charges as police return stolen property to owners and those owners file 
reports.

Police responded at about 8:15 p.m. to the intersection of 17th and North Washington streets, where a caller complained of a man trying to enter cars. An officer found Smith nearby. After Smith identified himself, he was arrested on a 2016 marijuana possession warrant out of Hamilton County. He was also the suspect of a check fraud case being investigated in Bloomington. He matched the description of a suspect in a string of car break-ins.

In a search of Smith after the arrest, the officer found loose pills and pill bottles with names other than Smith’s on the labels, marijuana and paraphernalia, a wallet containing at least four credit cards with different names, two checkbooks and several checks with different names. Police identified one of the credit cards as having been fraudulently used. Smith told police he’d found some of the items in a dumpster and had been given others by friends, though he could not identify the dumpster or the friends.

Smith, who is transient, told police he’s been in Bloomington for several months. Kellams said he’s not sure how long Smith is suspected to have been breaking in to cars. Smith was taken to Monroe County Correctional Center. Kellams said police are in the process of returning stolen property to victims.