Little 500 qualifying weekend sees increased crime

Campus Filler

Celebratory festivities for Little 500 qualifications started as early as Thursday evening and went throughout the weekend. With the increased excitement on campus, March 25 and 26 were particularly eventful for the IU Police Department, which made 10 arrests, most of which were substance related.

IUPD Lt. Craig Munroe said the kind of behavior seen is fairly typical, especially for a big party weekend like this.

Common incidents during the qualifications festivities included illegal possession and consumption of alcohol, public intoxication and possession of marijuana. Munroe said there was one arrest at Armstrong Stadium for illegal consumption.

“People need to know law enforcement is out there,” Munroe said.

During the end of the spring semester, when the weather warms and events like Little 500 come around, Munroe said parties usually get bigger. For big events like Little 500, IUPD and the Bloomington Police Department are not alone in patrolling the city.

“Law enforcement tightens things up,” Munroe said.

Excise police, a division of the Alcohol & Tobaca Commission, will help to monitor the areas, and other local departments lend extra hands for these big days.

For the past several years, IUPD and BPD have partnered in a joint effort to answer party calls, particularly on the weekends, Munroe said.

Munroe said he advises students who are underage not to drink during these big events, especially when they will be out in public around numerous law enforcement departments. He also said he recommends to everyone not to binge drink and to consume a moderate amount of alcohol.