sports swimming & diving

Lilly King, coach Ray Looze honored by Big Ten

Freshman Lilly King practices breastroke Dec. 7, 2015 at the Counsilman-Bilingsley Aquatic Center.

Sophomore Lilly King was named Big Ten Swimmer of the Year for the second consecutive season Monday, and head swimming coach Ray Looze earned the Big Ten Women’s Coach of the Year Award.

King becomes the eighth honoree in school history and the first person to win twice since Kate Fesenko in 2009-10. For Looze, the honor is his fifth on the women’s side and seventh overall. King’s award comes on the heels of her NCAA championships in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke. In the 200-yard breaststroke King set the American, NCAA, meet, U.S. Open, pool and school record with a 2:03.18, the best time in the history of the event.

Prior to the NCAAs, King was named swimmer of the 
championships at the Big Ten 
finale. At the championships, the Evansville, Indiana, native won titles in the 100-yard breaststroke, 200-yard breaststroke and the 200-yard individual medley. She also won medals in the 200- and 400-yard medley relay. King was named first-team All-Big Ten for her performance.

As for Looze, this marks the third straight year the Hoosiers were the top Big Ten team at the NCAA Championships. It was also the eighth top-10 finish in school history and the first time they accomplished the feat since accomplishing the feat three times between 2008-10.

Under Looze’s guidance this year the Hoosiers earned a total of 24 All-American honors at the NCAAs and nine total medals at Big Tens, eight gold and one silver medal.