crime & courts

IU student in custody after stalking investigation

Region Filler

An IU student who allegedly harassed an acquaintance via email for months was arrested Tuesday after a months-long police investigation.

Police first received complaints in December from a woman who said she was being harassed by an anonymous emailer, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Steve Kellams said. The emails were sexual in nature and lacked “legitimate communication,” Kellams said. She received them from November through January.

Though they came from several different email addresses, they all appeared to come from the same person, who knew personal information about the victim.

Police tracked down IP addresses associated with the emails and traced them to Zuheir Khlaif, 46. Kellams said a probable cause affidavit identifies both Khlaif and the victim as IU students, and Khlaif appears in the online IU Address Book as a student and employee.

The victim told police she knows Khlaif but didn’t know he was the person harassing her, Kellams said.

Khlaif denied the stalking accusations. When he was presented with evidence tracing the emails to him, he requested an attorney.

He was arrested on a stalking charge and taken to Monroe County Correctional Center.

Jack Evans

TWEET: A 46-year-old IU student was arrested after he allegedly sent harassing emails to an acquaintance for months.