IU overwhelms Rutgers in Big Ten-opening doubleheader

Sports Filler

IU softball got off to a 2-0 start in conference play Friday with a two-game sweep of Rutgers at Andy Mohr Field.

The Hoosiers outscored the Scarlet Knights 32-4 over both games, and won the afternoon meeting 9-2 before taking home the evening game 23-2 in five innings to improve their overall record to 16-14. This marks the first time the team’s record has been higher than .500 in 2017.

IU led for the entirety of both games.

The afternoon victory was highlighted by a big offensive day from senior infielder CaraMia Tsirigos. Playing as the designated hitter, Tsirigos recorded four RBI on three hits.

She launched a three-run home run in the sixth to cap IU’s scoring in the game.

Junior outfielder Rebecca Blitz added two RBI on two hits, and freshman utility player Gabbi Jenkins scored four runs and stole three bases, both season-highs for Jenkins.

In the circle, sophomore pitcher Tara Trainer and freshman pitcher Emily Goodin combined to throw six innings, while sophomore pitcher Emily Kirk came in for the seventh. Trainer pitched the first four innings, and allowed only two hits while striking out four.

Trainer picked up the victory to improve her season record to 7-7.

The nightcap saw historic performances from IU at the plate.

A total of twelve different Hoosiers collected an RBI, with Tsirigos and junior infielder Rachel O’Malley each collecting four. Tsirigos’ came courtesy of a grand slam to center field in the first.

O’Malley, junior infielder Taylor Uden and sophomore infielder Nicole Lawvere also homered for IU in the win. IU recorded 20 hits in the victory, with 13 different players recording a hit.

The 23 runs scored by IU were the most in a single game under Coach Michelle Gardner, as were the 20 hits, 23 RBI and four home runs.

It is the most runs scored by IU since a 42-4 victory against IPFW in 1976.

Trainer pitched the first three innings of the blowout to pick up her eighth win of the season and her second of the day.

IU and Rutgers will conclude the three-game series Saturday afternoon.

Cameron Drummond