IU Auditorium finishes season with staging of 'Pippin' this April

Arts Filler

The IU Auditorium will round out this season of productions with a Tony Award-winning revival of a Broadway musical sensation.

“Pippin” will be staged at the auditorium at 8 p.m. April 12, with a second show April 13 at the same time, according to the news release.

The story follows one man’s journey toward greatness with a modern flare. The names for protagonist Pippin and his father, Charlemagne, have roots in figures of the Middle Ages, but the story is fictional.

Memorable tracks that will be featured in the show include Schwartz’s “Magic to Do” and “Corner of the Sky,” among others.

The show has earned four Tony Awards, including Best Revival of a Musical, Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical, Best Featured Actress in a Musical and Best Direction in a Musical, according to the release. The production has also been given four Drama Desk Awards.

IU Auditorium director Doug Booher said the show is an ideal way to round out the auditorium’s 76th season.

“This production is part musical, part spectacle and is a theatrical experience unique to itself,” Booher said in the release. “We look forward to providing our audiences with the opportunity to see the magic unfold in this show.”

The revival debuted in 2013 at the American Repertory Theater and moved to Broadway in March of the same year.