Event Calendar: Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month begins

Arts Filler

Though May is officially Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, IU celebrates it in April, while most students are still on campus, according to the Asian Cultural Center’s website. The next month will see a variety of events associated with the month and highlighting food, 
film and performance.

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage month opening reception

This opening celebration features Popo Fan, put on by the Asian Culture Center in collaboration with the Mathers Museum of World Cultures, features artwork by IU students, staff and faculty. The event will celebrate paintings, digital art and much more. Fan, a queer independent filmmaker, will also talk about his work as a director and LGBT advocate.

When: 5 p.m. Tuesday, March 28

Where: Mathers Museum of World Cultures

Asia Night

Groups from many Asian cultures will be staging performances to showcase their variety and diversity.

When: 7 p.m. Thursday

Where: Buskirk-Chumley Theater

“Spa Night” screening with Andrew Ahn

A screening of Emerging Asian/Pacific American Voices’ featured artists Andrew Ahn’s film, “Spa Night,” the 2016 Sundance Film revolving around a man torn between obligations to his immigrant family and his budding sexual desires set against the background of Los Angeles spas. Two more Ahn films will be screened beforehand. The event is a collaboration between the IU Cinema and the Asian American Studies Program.

When: 5 p.m. Monday, April 3

Where: IU Cinema

First Thursdays

The Asian Culture Center will feature information about the history and culture of Asian American and Pacific Islander communities with several games, giveaways and activities at their tent during this month’s First Thursday.

When: 5 p.m. Thursday, April 6

Where: Showalter Fountain

Permias the Indonesian student association hosts GAPURA

A night of cultural dance, music, art and food celebrating the culture of Indonesia. This annual event is free and open to all.

When: 5 p.m. Sunday, April 9

Where: Indiana Memorial Union Alumni Hall

“Painted Nails” screening

This film follows salon worker Van Hoang, who discovers that the toxic chemicals used at her salon are causing health issues, including two miscarriages. Her fight for safe cosmetics becomes the main thrust of the film’s conflict.

When: 7 p.m. Monday, April 10

Where: IU Cinema

WFHB celebrates Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Local FM radio station WFHB-91.3 will provide listeners the opportunity to hear music by Asian-American artists, guest DJs and a variety of interviews with members of the Asian American and Pacific Islander community.

When: Tuesday, April 11, Tuesday, April 25

Thesis Exhibition: Kelvin Buzon “Noli Me Tangere”

Master of fine arts student and Filipino artist Kelvin Burzon’s thesis exhibition revolves around themes of sexual identity and religious identity, reflecting a background as Filipino Roman Catholic and homosexual. His photographic series show the merging and conflict between these two identities as it borrows and uses religious imagery and language in different contexts.

When: 6 p.m. Friday, April 21

Where: Grunwald Gallery

Asian-American Studies end of the year party

Celebrate the accomplishments of Asian-American Studies students and faculty with this end of the year party. The event includes readings and a book launch from department faculty members.

When: 12 p.m. Friday, April 28

Where: Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center – Bridgewaters Lounge