"This American Life" producers to visit campus

Campus Filler

Producers of the award-winning radio show “This American Life” and co-creators of the podcast “Serial,” Sarah Koenig and Julie Snyder, will be presenting a 60-minute talk at 5 p.m. Friday in the Indiana Memorial Union Whittenberger Auditorium. The two will then take 20 to 30 minutes of audience questions after the talk.

The event is free and part of the “Many Worlds, One Globe” series that is designed to foster global understanding and individual identity. The host of the series is the Hutton Honors College.

“The scope of ‘Many Worlds, One Globe’ is broad, spanning from diverse cultural customs to international matters and ranging from artistic to scientific subjects,” said Andrea Ciccarelli, dean of the Hutton Honors College. “The series will intersect with as many fields as possible, given the breadth of disciplines taught at IU-Bloomington and support students’ understanding of the global and the individual experience.”

The event with Koenig and Snyder is titled “Binge-worthy Journalism.”

“This American Life” is a weekly public radio show that broadcasts to about 2.2 million people, according to its website. From the year 2006 to 2008, a television version was created that won three Emmy awards.

In 2014, the two launched the podcast “Serial.” Koenig is the host of the show. According to the website, “Serial” tells one story over a season of episodes.

The podcast has won several awards that include the Peabody award, the Scripps Howard award, the Silver Gavel Award for Media and the Arts and others.

Other guests in the series this year are Kay Redfield Jamison, who is a professor of psychiatry at the John Hopkins University School of Medicine, and Irshad Manji, who is the founder of “Moral Courage TV” and the author of “The Trouble With Islam Today,” according to an IU press release from Jan. 18.

Jamison spoke at IU on Feb.2. Manji’s visit is scheduled for Oct. 2 and 3. All of the events are free and open to the public.

An earlier version of this story misidentified the roles of Sarah Koenig and Julie Snyder with "This American Life." The IDS regrets this error.