Cellist Shannon Hayden returns to Bloomington for Blockhouse show

Shannon Hayden, full-time touring musician, will return to Bloomington to play at 8 p.m. Friday at the Blockhouse. Hayden has played at the venue previously and considers her return a "homecoming."

Shannon Hayden began studying in the IU string prep program at age 12 and has had the opportunity to practice under the guidance of then-professor Janos Starker until age 17 or 18, though she knew much earlier she wanted to play.

After having the opportunity to work with musicians, Hayden said she attended Yale School of Music, and now works as a touring musician full-time.

Hayden will return to Bloomington and debut new material during her performance starting at 8 p.m. Friday at The Blockhouse. This will be her third time performing at the venue.

INDIANA DAILY STUDENT: What stands out to you about performing in Bloomington?

SHANNON HAYDEN: “Playing in Bloomington always feels like a bit of a homecoming to me. Though I grew up on a farm two hours away in Illinois, I spent a lot of time in Bloomington as a teen. My family and I often commuted to town a couple times a week for my lessons and classes at the Jacobs School of Music.”

IDS: What does playing the cello mean to you?

SH: “I started asking for a cello at 3 and began lessons at 6. I don’t really remember a time when I was not either surrounded by music or playing an instrument. For me, I feel the instruments I play are just kind of an extension of myself at this point — music is a great form of communication for me, so that’s probably the most important thing playing an instrument does for me.”

IDS: Who are some musicians you find inspiring?

SH: “Bernard Herrmann, Ennio Morricone, Jonny Greenwood, Arvo Pärt, Melt-Banana and Can.”

IDS: What do you hope people feel walking away from your performance?

SH: “I’d like for them to be exposed to something they have maybe never encountered before, so they can walk away having had a new experience.”