sports women's basketball

Cahill named Academic All-American

spiuwbb

IU junior forward Amanda Cahill was named to the 2016-17 CoSIDA Academic All-American Third Team, the organization announced Thursday.

Cahill is the first IU women’s basketball player since 1989 and just the fourth player in school history to receive this honor. The Clyde, Ohio, native is one of 15 Division I players to earn this academic honor and one of three from the Big Ten. She is a two-time CoSIDA Academic All-District honoree, both this season and last season, and a 2016 Academic All-Big Ten honoree.

In the classroom, Cahill is an elementary education major in IU’s School of Education and holds a 3.90 GPA. The junior has been a major part in IU’s second straight 20-win season, as she averages 15 points per game and a team-high 9.2 rebounds per game.

“This is a tremendous honor for Amanda, someone who works so hard in the classroom and on the court,” IU coach Teri Moren said in an IU Athletics release. “We could not be happier for her to receive this accomplishment and truly reflects the hard work she puts in every day.”

Earlier in the season, Cahill became the 26th player in IU history to reach the 1,000-point mark for her career. She also holds the team lead in double-doubles with 11 and has 28 career double-doubles, good for sixth in IU history.

Cahill and the Hoosiers return to action Friday in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament at approximately 2:30 p.m. at Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Josh Eastern