Breaking   Former IU chancellor Ken Gros Louis dies | 11 hours ago

news   |  iupd

Bathroom sign damage classified as hate crime

webcabathroom

A gender-neutral bathroom sign on the third floor of the Student Building was ripped partially from the wall Tuesday. Dominick Jeans Buy Photos

An all-gender bathroom sign partially ripped off a wall on the third floor of the Frances Morgan Swain Student Building has now been classified as a hate crime by police.

While Munroe said vandalism is quite common on a college campus, what qualified this case as a hate crime was the fact that the sign was for an all-gender bathroom and the police report said the word “men” was written on the wall where the sign had previously been attached.

There was an M and an N on the wall with a large gap between the letters where the sign had been torn from the wall.

The incident occurred around 6 p.m. Monday, according to the police report which was filed Tuesday morning. Police said the damage is estimated at $50.

IU police department Lt. Craig Munroe said police do not have any suspects in the case yet. IUPD will look into the information they have, as well as check for possible witnesses or cameras that may have seen the incident. The case will be left open for additional information until the suspect is found.

More in Iupd

Crime activity low over spring break

While the majority of students were away from campus during spring break, the IU Police Department remained active but without much activity to report.