Ball State visits IU for opening-round WNIT matchup

spiuwbb

Despite not hearing its name called as an NCAA Tournament participant on Selection Monday, IU women's basketball is ready and eager to make a long postseason run in the Women's National Invitation Tournament.

After IU men's basketball controversially turned down the chance to host an NIT game earlier this week, the Hoosier women ensured postseason hoops would be played in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, as the Ball State Cardinals will visit IU on Thursday for a WNIT matchup.

When IU Coach Teri Moren spoke to reporters ahead of the game, she left no doubt that her team was looking forward to playing more games in Bloomington. 

“We want to be here," Moren told reporters. "We want to be here in our beds, in our surroundings."

When the ball is tipped at 7 p.m. on Thursday, it will have been nearly two weeks since the Hoosiers played last. A loss to Purdue in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals on March 3 saw the Hoosiers blow a 17-point lead in the second half and bow out of the conference tournament after just one game. 

The loss moved IU's season record to 20-10 and ended its NCAA Tournament chances. Nevertheless, IU was selected as a participant in the WNIT for the second time in four years, and the first time in Moren's three-year tenure.

Moren said the benefits of IU continuing to play despite missing the NCAA Tournament are twofold, as her seniors get to extend their collegiate careers while those who will return next year can get more experience to improve for future seasons.

The opening-round contest of the 64-team WNIT offers another home game, and likely start, for senior center Jenn Anderson and senior guards Alexis Gassion and Karlee McBride. 

McBride has been on a tear from long range of late, with 16 made 3-pointers in 39 attempts over the past five games. Anderson will also likely be relied upon heavily to hold down the IU frontcourt against a strong group of Ball State forwards.

Ball State sports a 21-10 overall record and a 14-4 mark in Mid-American Conference play. The Cardinals also dropped their opening game of their conference tournament and will have had more than a week off before Thursday's game, which will be broadcast on BTN+.

With a pair of upperclassmen anchoring the frontcourt and leading the Cardinals in scoring, they will undoubtedly present a challenge for the Hoosiers. Senior center Renee Bennett and junior forward Moriah Monaco combine for nearly 34 points per game for the Cardinals, but score in different ways. 

Bennett stands six-foot-five inches tall and holds down the paint with a 57.5% field goal percentage from two-point range. Monaco, on the other hand, made 98 3-pointers this season and plays as more of a stretch four, in the mold of IU junior forward Amanda Cahill. 

IU and Ball State shared four mutual opponents this season, as both lost to Western Kentucky and Auburn while also each defeating Oakland. Ball State dropped a non conference matchup with Purdue, and IU split a pair of games with its in-state rival.

With either IUPUI or Saint Louis awaiting Thursday's IU-Ball State winner, there are winnable games ahead in the WNIT for the Hoosiers. Both Moren and junior guard Tyra Buss said the goal is clear for IU - to win this tournament, even though it may not be the one they originally set out to play in.

“Even though we had goals, sometimes you have to re-evaluate them and set new ones," Moren told reporters. “We’re excited about the opportunity that we still have to compete.”