Alex Krupa named Big Ten Baseball Player of the Week

Senior Alex Krupa rounds the bases after his first career home run on Saturday at Bart Kaufman Field. Krupa’s home run led off a 7-run third inning for the Hoosiers, who went on to beat Middle Tennessee 12-1.

IU baseball’s senior outfielder Alex Krupa was announced Monday as the conference’s player of the week, just a week after freshman pitcher Andrew Saalfrank earned Big Ten recognition as Freshman of the Week.

Krupa led the Hoosiers to three wins in four games and a series victory against Hawaii while in Honolulu to earn the first Player of the Week award of his career.

He was a nuisance at the plate all series long and collected multiple hits in three of four games. The Greenwood, Indiana, native recorded eights hits during the week while accruing a .533 batting average.

Krupa leads the Hoosiers this season with a .356 batting average and a .600 slugging percentage. The senior has a pair of home runs and three stolen bases.

In addition to Krupa and Saalfrank, freshman catcher Jake Matheny has also won a Big Ten weekly honor this season, but the last IU player to win the Player of the Week designation was Brian Wilhite on March 28, 2016.

Up next, IU will welcome Cincinnati for a 6 p.m. first pitch Wednesday in Bloomington.

Spencer Davis