Women’s swim and dive leads Big Ten championships after day two

Sports Filler

In the second day of Big Ten championship competition at the Boilermaker Aquatic Center, the IU women’s swimming and diving team finished the day in first place with 393.0 points.

The biggest result of the day came in the 400-yard medley relay. Senior Gia Dalesandro, juniors Ali Rockett and Holly Spears and sophomore Lilly King swam the event in 3:28.89 – good for an IU, Big Ten, Big Ten meet and Boilermaker Aquatic Center record. It was also the second fastest time in the country this season. This marked the third time in the last four years the Hoosiers have won the 400-yard medley at the conference championship.

Another big result for the Hoosiers was King’s Big Ten title in in the 200-yard individual medley. She finished with an NCAA B cut time of 1:55.90. King joined Allysa Varva as the only Hoosiers to win the 200-yard IM conference crown. Varva won the event in 2011 and 2012.

Thursday also marked the end of the 1-meter springboard competition. Senior Michal Bower and junior Jessica Parratto anchored the Hoosiers, finishing seventh and fifth respectively. Both divers scored NCAA qualifying times.

The Hoosiers will be back in action Friday morning in West Lafayette.

Ben Portnoy