Vigil for Nicholas Smith recognizes mental illness

The IU greek community gathered Wednesday evening in Neal-Marshall Grand Hall for a vigil honoring sophomore Nic Smith. Smith, a member of Sigma Pi fraternity, died January 10.

Visibility was low as a fog hung over Bloomington, but more than a hundred students weathered the cold and snow wind and came out to honor a 
fellow student.

Sophomore and member of the Sigma Pi fraternity Nicholas Smith took his own life in January, and the greek community continues to mourn and remember him. Greeks gathered from the Jordan extension and walked to Neal-Marshall, where a vigil took place for Smith. Sigma Pi’s president, Nicholas Fattore, 
spoke first.

Fattore and Smith were in the same rush class and lived in the same dorms as freshman.

Fattore said everyone knew Smith had emotional baggage. However, he said he was still confused by 
Smith’s death.

“Til this day I don’t know what he went through,” Fattore said.

Fattore said he never took time to understand what Smith was going through. Fattore said mental illness was something Smith and hundreds of students like him cannot simply get over.

“Let them know that we are there to listen to them,” Fattore said. “You can’t force someone to open up to you. But you can keep trying.”

Junior Madeline Lasson, one of Smith’s friends and a member of the Phi Mu sorority, spoke next.

She described Smith as one of the most positive and genuine people she had 
ever met. Lasson said a hole was dug in the hearts of the community when Smith took his own life.

“Nothing I say will take away the pain,” she said.

However, she did continue to emphasize the importance of identifying those with mental illnesses and making them comfortable with opening up.

"Find support in each other,” she said.

Scott Olofson, sophomore and Smith’s pledge brother, had much to say about Smith. He reiterated the characterizations of Smith as an energetic, outgoing and always available young man.

Olofson said it’s important to learn from Smith’s death and establish pathways to help those with mental illnesses in the greek community. One idea he suggested was a new philanthropy event.

He said the fraternity had thought about it and would want the proceeds to go to organizations geared toward tackling mental health illness.

Olofson said he does not want to see anyone like Smith take their own life.

“We are hoping to have an open place where people can hangout and can talk,” he said.

EDITOR'S NOTE: This story has been edited for style and clarity on April 16, 2019.