Soup bowl benefits local food bank

The Dancing Shoes providing some lively tunes to accompany the soup.

At long tables lined with colorful handmade pottery, attendees examined multiple bowls before settling on their favorite one. After they made their decision, they filled their bowls with soups ranging from minestrone to Hungarian goulash as part of the Hoosier Hills Food Bank’s 23rd Annual Soup Bowl Benefit Sunday at the Monroe County Convention Center.

The proceeds from the benefit went toward the food bank, a nonprofit organization that provides more than three million pounds of food each year to other nonprofits in south central Indiana. A full-priced ticket, which included a handmade bowl, food and beverages, was $30. Children’s tickets for food and tickets for paper bowls were $6.

Hoosier Hills Food Bank Executive Director Julio Alonso said the organization’s goal was to raise $100,000 at the event. About 700 people attended.

The event included soups and bread from more than 25 local restaurants. It also featured live musical performances by IU Soul Revue and The New Hoosier 
Broadcasters.

About 60 potters donated their bowls to the event, organizing committee member Karen Green Stone said, including potters from the Indiana Ceramics Guild, Bloomington High School North, Bloomington High School South and Ivy Tech.

Barb Lund, 67, has been making bowls for the event every year since it first started 23 years ago. The total amount of bowls she has made for the event throughout the years adds up to approximately 2,800 bowls. She said she made 210 bowls for this particular event.

“I just like seeing people pick up all the bowls,” she said. “It’s a testing ground for me to see what people like.”

Attendee Jamie Caldwell, 22, said it was her first time attending the soup bowl. She said she liked choosing from the variety of bowls. She decided on a white bowl with a bright green interior.

“It looks really well-made,” she said. “It looks like something you would buy at store.”

Caldwell said she tried tomato soup from Runcible Spoon and a chicken and rice soup from the Trojan Horse, and she said both were delicious and flavorful.

Caldwell said she also enjoyed the enthusiasm of the people who attended.

“It was a big swarm of energy and excitement,” Caldwell said.

Duane Busick, 64, said he has attended about 18 to 20 soup bowls. He said he liked how the event allows him to take home a piece of pottery. He selected a light blue glazed bowl.

“The greatest thing about this event is that you give money to raise for Hoosier Hills and you get to take home a piece of art to remember it by,” he said.

Alonso said he likes how the event brings together many local musicians, artists and restaurants to contribute to the food bank.

“It’s become a treasured community event,” Alonso said. “It’s the best of Bloomington on so many levels.”