crime & courts

Man arrested in south side shooting death of 18-year-old

Region Filler

Police have arrested a suspect in the Tuesday shooting death on Bloomington’s south side of an 18-year-old.

Malik Parker, 21, is charged with reckless homicide, according to a press release from the Bloomington Police 
Department.

Officers responded at about 3:40 p.m. to the 2500 block of South Camden Drive to reports of a person being shot. In the house’s bathroom, they found Anthony Andrews, 18, bleeding from a gunshot wound to the neck. They could not revive him, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

In a preliminary investigation, officers learned Andrews and Parker had been with friends, smoking a drug called “shatter,” a butane hash oil with high THC content, 
according to the release.

At some point, Parker picked up a .22 caliber rifle owned by Andrews, pointed it at him and pulled the trigger.

After being shot in the neck, Andrews walked to the bathroom and fell on the floor. A juvenile who was at the house called 911.

Parker was arrested and taken to Monroe County 
Correctional Center. According to MyCase, an online tracker of criminal and civil cases in Indiana, Parker appears to have no prior in-state criminal record.

Police and the coroner’s office were on the scene Tuesday afternoon, well before the press release was released. Dogs barked from inside the house, which had a “Beware of the dog” sign tacked to its front door. A stack of cinder blocks in front of the yard warned, in apparently hand-painted letters, “Don’t come here.”

Jack Evans