weekend

Weekend Movie Preview: Sequels compete for Valentine's viewers

MCDFISH EC042

This weekend, take your valentine on a pre-holiday movie date. From the second “Fifty Shades” installment to the much anticipated “LEGO Batman” spinoff, this weekend’s box office has something for every couple.

“The LEGO Batman Movie” — Your favorite part of “The LEGO Movie” is back in another PG action-comedy. Bruce Wayne learns to open up in this sequel, which is no easy task for the brooding billionaire. When the Joker unleashes a horde of D-list bad guys to take out the Dark Knight, Batman will have to team up with his neglected orphan ward, police officer Barbara Gordon and a slew of DC heroes to save the day.

“Fifty Shades Darker” — Snuggle in, lovebirds, because the second time’s the charm. The first “Fifty Shades” movie was widely denounced by an audience looking for more passion, titillation and chemistry from the leads. Jamie Dornan and Dakota Johnson have, according to early reviews, embraced their characters and the silly-sexy nature of the franchise. The sequel promises more fantasy and intrigue than the original. If nothing else, the soundtrack sounds pretty promising.

“John Wick: Chapter 2” — This sequel to the criminally underseen 2014 action flick follows Keanu Reeves’ gun-toting hero as he shoots, stabs and punches his way through large crowds of people. The formerly-retired hitman has a new dog and a new suit. He also has a whole new crop of assassins to fight off. The trailers have been light on plot specifics, but Reeves has already proven he can carry this franchise on his bulletproof-suited shoulders. We’re rooting for you this time, Fido!

“A United Kingdom” — Based on the real-life romance of a British office worker and the future king of Botswana, “A United Kingdom” garnered rave reviews when it opened the London Film Festival in October. Set during South African apartheid, the marriage between a white woman and black man created waves at an international level. While the political upheaval remains relevant, the real focus is and should be on the love between Seretse Khama and Ruth Williams.