Men’s swim and dive continues undefeated season with Big Ten title

IUSwim

The Hoosiers are Big Ten 
champions once again.

The No. 4-ranked IU men’s swimming and diving team went wire-to-wire to win its 25th Big Ten title in program history and first since 2006. IU finished with 1,504 points, and Ohio State and Michigan tied for 
second with 1,382 points.

“Winning that team title was just a special moment in the entire team’s careers,” diving coach Drew Johansen said. “Everybody put forth unbelievable efforts across the board, and we had such a great team energy there this past week that took us to the title.”

The Hoosiers seized momentum right from the start of the championships by sweeping the 200-yard medley relay and the 800 freestyle relay Wednesday night. Ultimately, IU would win four of the five relays. It was the first time in school history that had been accomplished.

“That kind of showing in the relays was something I have never seen until this point, and the coaches have said that it was really impressive feat,” junior swimmer Blake Pieroni said.

As for individual performances, sophomore Vini Lanza was stellar for the Hoosiers. Lanza was named swimmer of the championships after winning four gold medals and a silver. Lanza’s swim in the 200-yard butterfly was his most noteworthy, as the Brazilian’s time of 1:40.97 broke the event records for IU and McCorkle Aquatic Center at Ohio State. It was also the first Big Ten title for the 
Hoosiers in the event since 1985.

“Vini is really good, and he’s only going to get better,” IU Coach Ray Looze said. “When you have a guy like Blake Pieroni that has a really good meet, and another guy wins swimmer of the championships, that’s a good thing.”

Pieroni, senior Bob Glover and sophomore Ian Finnerty also had impressive weeks. Glover took home the 200-yard backstroke on the final day of competition in a personal-best time of 1:41.25 and also received the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award.

Pieroni, who has been an important player for the Hoosiers all season, continued his impressive year by winning the 100-yard freestyle in a personal-best, conference, meet and IU record 41.44. The junior was also a part of the 400-yard freestyle relay team that took home gold in a Big Ten, meet, IU and pool record time of 2:48.29.

Finnerty’s win in the 100-yard breaststroke proved crucial for the Hoosiers down the stretch. After winning the title as a freshman, Finnerty won the gold again with an IU, Big Ten and meet record time of 51.38.

“We’re just blessed with some really good swimmers and divers, and on any given day we can get some outstanding performances,” Looze said.

On the diving side, junior Michael Hixon continued to impress. The Texas transfer won both the 1- and 3-meter springboard events and finished sixth in the 10-meter platform dive.

The 3-meter dive provided one of the most dramatic moments of the week. Hixon trailed Ohio State’s Colin Zheng heading in to his final dive. Hixon then nailed a forward 4.5 somersault tuck for a score of 106.40 and the Big Ten title.

Hixon won the event with an IU, meet and pool record of 520.40. It was also the first time in program history a Hoosier diver broke the 500-point threshold.

“The Big Ten is so competitive in diving,” Hixon said. It will be a lot like what NCAAs will be like. So for us to have that situation to get out there and dive against some of the best guys in the country, the best guys in the world, you know, it’s always a lot of fun.”

Senior Joshua Arndt, junior Cody Coldren and sophomore James Connor all performed admirably while dealing with various injuries, Johansen said.

“On the diving side I believe it’s probably one of the best Big Ten events in the history of the Big Ten,” Johansen said.

In total, IU finished with 14 school records, five conference records, six conference meet records, seven pool records and nine first-team All Big Ten honorees.

“I just want to say I give all the credit to the athletes,” Looze said. “The swimmers and divers and all the assistant coaches, they were outstanding. Everybody had a role to play and they did it at the very high level.”

For some Hoosiers this marked the end of the season. However, for those who qualified, the NCAA Zone C diving Championships will take place in Bloomington beginning March 9, while the swimmers will be back in action for the NCAA Championships March 22 in 
Indianapolis.