Mathers museum to close for renovations

Campus Filler

The Mathers Museum of World Cultures will be closed this summer for renovations. The museum was created as an opportunity for visitors to explore the world’s cultures in 
Bloomington.

The museum will be closed from May 8 through Aug. 14 for renovations. The goal of the closure is to better and simplify the experience of learning about world cultures, according to an IU press release.

Jason Jackson, the director of the Mathers Museum, said in the release that some of the changes are upgrades to the lighting to improve the museum’s displays and improved accessibility for the disabled.

“When we reopen for fall 2017, we think visitors will really enjoy a new exhibition season presented with beautiful new lighting,” Jackson said in the release. It was almost four decades ago that IU started building the 
museum on the corner of Eight Street and Indiana 
Avenue.

Not all of the museum’s operations will be closed this summer, however.

The museum will still continue its Traditional Arts Indiana program, which is an educational experience in which the museum travels around Indiana presenting exhibitions, artists and literature of world cultures. In addition, other libraries on campus will continue to be open to the public.

“Many of our campus partners, including the Wylie House Museum and the Lilly Library, will continue to present outstanding exhibitions and programs for Bloomington museum-goers,” Jackson said in the release.

He and his staff see this as advantageous, he said in the release, because it demonstrates the University’s continuous interest in world studies.