Lead contamination found in soil on North Monroe Street



Soil tested at the site of a former City of Bloomington Utilities water tank was recently discovered to have lead presence above Indiana Department of Environmental Management standards.

The unused Dyer tank, which operated from 1954 to 2015 at 1008 N Monroe St., was coated in lead paint. The soil contamination is likely a result of runoff from sandblasting paint off the tank when preparing for repainting, according to a release from the city.

The area is fenced and currently unused. The contaminated soil is not dangerous if left undisturbed.

Residents of adjacent properties can anticipate additional soil sampling in the area and any necessary remediation, at the expense of CBU, according to the release.

CBU owns and maintains four other water tanks that were constructed before lead paint was banned in 1978. The areas of these tanks will be tested for contamination. Those tanks are located on Loesch Road; on S.R. 446; at 17th and S.R. 45/46 bypass; and adjacent to the CBU Service Center at Henderson and Miller Drive.

Emily Ernsberger

Like what you're reading? Support independent, award-winning college journalism on this site. Donate here.

More



Comments powered by Disqus