Latino Alumni Association begins fundraiser

The kick-off event for the 10X fundraising campaign to benefit Latino Indiana University students will take place at 5:30 p.m.Tuesday, Feb. 28 at the Skyline Club in Indianapolis, according to an IU press release. The IU Latino Alumni Association is the host for the event. The campaign is intended to increase the level of alumni engagement 10-fold to add to the scholarship fund for Latino students.

"This is an opportunity for all of us to make a difference in a student's life and to bolster the scholarship fund of the IULAA," said Clarence Boone Jr., associate director of alumni communities for the IU Alumni Association, in the release.

The IU Latino Alumni Association is an affiliate group of the IU Alumni Association, according to the release.

The IU Alumni Association is a global organization of alumni that draws more than 650,000 IU graduates together for support throughout their lives, according to the release. The IUAA utilizes IU’s powerful network through live events, webinars, scholarship programs and traditions.

After the initial event, there will be additional networking receptions scheduled throughout Indiana to encourage participation in the campaign, according to the release.

While the goal is to raise awareness for student scholarships, participants will also hear testimonials from students who have received scholarships. They will be able to see first-hand how the scholarships affects students.

Cody Thompson