IUPD arrests two men for domestic battery

Campus Filler

*This story has been updated as of April 30, 2017*

In the last week, the IU Police Department arrested two men for separate instances of domestic battery.

On Tuesday Anthony Henderson, 27, was arrested for two counts of domestic battery, both occurring on North Walnut Street. These were two separate incidents. The first was Jan. 21 and the second was Tuesday.

Henderson’s girlfriend called IUPD after the two got into an altercation .

She said she had been pushed, and IUPD Capt. Andy Stephenson said she had red markings around her neck.

Four days before this attack, another domestic battery case was reported. This one involved IU student Gabriel Jones.

Jones was arrested for strangulation in addition to domestic battery at Union Street apartments.

Jones and an ex-girlfriend had an argument, which led to Jones pushing her against the wall and choking her. The woman had no visible injuries, 
Stephenson said.

As of April 30, the Monroe County Prosecutor's Office has since declined to file a charge against Gabriel Jones.

After the IU Police Department made the arrest for the charges, the case was submitted to the Monroe County Prosecutor's office. After they reviewed the information, the office determined it was not strong enough to proceed further.

Bob Miller from the prosecutor's office said although the evidence they received was insufficient to prosecute, this doesn't necessarily mean that nothing happened. In criminal cases, evidence has to be concrete and able to be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

At this point, IUPD has no further responsibility in the case, Lt. Craig Monroe said. Jones currently faces no charges.