sports men's soccer

IU men's soccer sets spring schedule

spiums

IU men’s soccer and IU Coach Todd Yeagley announced their schedule for the 2017 spring season Wednesday. The spring season will begin in a few weeks.

The slate kicks off Feb. 25 with two matches against Valparaiso and Evansville at Mellencamp Pavilion. IU will also play host to Xavier on March 3 at Mellencamp as well.

The spring schedule will continue with a match March 5 when the Hoosiers travel to Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana, to face off against United Soccer League’s Swope Park Rangers. Swope Park is based in the Kansas City, Missouri area. That match will be played at the indoor facility at 3:15 p.m.

The schedule continues with a match in Fort Wayne, Indiana, against Notre Dame at 7 p.m., April 8 at the Shindigz National Soccer Festival at University of Saint Francis’ Bishop John D’Arcy Football Stadium.

IU will return to Grand Park for the Crossroads of America College Showcase on April 21 when it takes on the Cincinnati Bearcats at 7 p.m.

“These matches will give our staff an opportunity to experiment with lineups, as well as fine tune roles and 
relationships with our returning players,” Yeagley said in a release from IU Athletics. “Playing against tough competition this spring will provide a good measuring stick for our players and staff as we prepare for the fall season.”

The spring season wraps up April 30 as the Hoosiers play host to the Mexico U-18 Youth National team at Bill Armstrong Stadium in Bloomington. This will be the 11th meeting between the two sides. IU has a 4-6 mark against the Mexican team and earned a 2-0 win against the U-20 team last year.

In a recent interview on the Indiana Daily Student men’s soccer podcast, Yeagley talked about wanting to set up a schedule that could mimic the fall schedule as much as possible. He also mentioned the possibility of playing some 9-against-9 during their matches at Mellencamp 
Pavilion.

“Hosting the Mexican Youth National team in Bloomington has been a highlight event for our soccer program for the past 10 years,” Yeagley said in the release. “Our community, fans and players all enjoy this spectacular match at Armstrong Stadium.”