IU looks to bounce back against Michigan

IUMBB Purdue

After two close losses to two ranked Big Ten foes, IU faces a nearly must-win game Sunday against Michigan.

With injuries depleting IU’s roster, the Hoosiers desperately need to string together some wins to help improve their NCAA Tournament chances. IU has now lost four of the last five games, and the margin for error is shrinking as March is approaching rapidly.

After the loss to Purdue, IU Coach Tom Crean said he wasn’t focused on where his team was in terms of an NCAA Tournament résumé and just wanted to get ready for Michigan.

“We've got to get ourselves ready to play that game, and we've got to keep making the improvements that we have to make, and that's our next game,” Crean said. “They shoot it phenomenally well, and we'll put our game plan together, and that's what our focus has got to be.”

The first time IU played Michigan this season, the Wolverines’ offense throttled the Hoosiers, and Michigan won in Ann Arbor by 30.

Both teams are fighting for their postseason lives. Michigan comes into Bloomington 15-9 and 5-6 in conference play.

In the past two games, IU has held down both Purdue and Wisconsin with IU’s defense improving without sophomore forward OG Anunoby. However, in both those games, IU faltered late.

“I just think it comes down to details,” junior guard Robert Johnson said. “Reminding each other of details, being more connected and just digging down deep and recognizing when the game’s on the line — it really matters.”

That defensive improvement will be tested because Michigan boasts one of the best offenses in the country.

Michigan has the 18th-highest effective field goal percentage in the country and the fifth-lowest turnover percentage. While the Wolverines shoot it effectively from two, 37.9 percent of Michigan’s points come from 3-point range, which is good for 14th in the country.

Senior point guard Derrick Walton, sophomore center Moritz Wagner and sophomore forward DJ Wilson are three of Michigan’s premier 3-point shooters.

“Walton’s got the benefits of some guys that are making shots that you have to be very cognizant in your coverages with him,” Crean said. “He’s playing at an extremely confident level, but he’s always been a very good player. 

Walton is shooting 43.7 percent from 3-point range and has the 26th-best free throw percentage in the country at 89.7 percent.

“He’s definitely playing at a high level right now,” Johnson said. “He’s their point guard, so he’s basically the engine that makes them go. It’ll be important to not let him get going tomorrow.”

Wagner and Wilson both shoot just better than 40 percent from 3.

IU could have success against Michigan’s defense, which has been suspect so far this season. Michigan has the 114th best defense in the nation, per Kenpom’s adjusted defensive efficiency statistic. 

“We are anxious to play,” Crean said. “These guys are extremely anxious to go. Here we go.”