sports baseball

IU falls to No. 7 Oregon State for second time

Sports Filler

IU finished its four-game opening weekend with a 4-1 loss to No. 7 Oregon State on Monday in Surprise, Arizona.

The Beavers jumped on the Hoosiers' junior pitcher Brian Hobbie early, as they recorded four hits in the first inning. The four hits, including one triple, tacked two runs on the scoreboard to provide a lead the Hoosiers would be unable to overtake.

Hobbie gave up a solo home run in the fourth inning before finishing a 5-inning effort. The junior surrendered six hits — three for extra bases — and three earned runs in 79 pitches.

Four Oregon State batters hit extra-base hits, totaled eight hits and left seven runners on base. The Hoosiers had just five hits but stranded seven runners.

Oregon State pitcher Jake Thompson struck out eight IU batters, totaling 19 strikeouts between Oregon State’s starting pitchers in two games this weekend.

IU had a chance to tie or take the lead in the top of the eighth inning, down by two with runners on first and second, but the Hoosiers were unable to take advantage.

IU was in a similar position in the third inning after freshman shortstop Jeremy Houston hit a lead-off triple. Junior Laren Eustace, sophomore Matt Lloyd and junior Logan Sowers all struck out while Houston stood 90 feet from scoring.

Senior Craig Dedelow’s fourth-inning home run represented the only run IU was able to score against Oregon State in Friday and Monday losses.

The 2-2 Hoosiers travel to Boca Raton, Florida, for a 3-game series against Florida Atlantic from Feb. 24-26.

Taylor Lehman