IU Auditorium opens stage to 'Into the Woods'

Into The Woods

CREATIVE TEAM
STEPHEN SONDHEIM
Music & Lyrics
JAMES LAPINE
Book
NOAH BRADY
Co-director
BEN STEINFELD
Co-director
LISA SHRIVER
Choreographer
DEREK MCLANE
Set Design
WHITNEY LOCHER
Costume Design
CHRISTOPHER AKERLIND
Lighting Design
DARRON L WEST
Sound Design
CHARLES COES
Sound Design
FRANK GALGANO & MATT CASTLE
Orchestrators
EVAN REES
Music Director
MARA ISAACS
Artistic Advisor
STEWART/WHITLEY
Casting
BROADWAY BOOKING OFFICE NYC
Tour Press, Marketing and Engagement Management
JACK STEPHENS
Company Manager
BRIAN L’ECUYER
Production Stage Manager
ORIN WOLF
Executive Producer
FIASCO THEATER
Producer
McCARTER THEATRE CENTER
Producer

CAST

ELEASHA GAMBLE
Baker's Wife
ANTHONY CHATMON II
Lucinda/Wolf/Cinderella's Prince
FRED ROSE
Mysterious Man
DARICK PEAD

Rapunzel’s Prince, Florinda, Milky White
BONNE KRAMER
Cinderella's Stepmother/Jack's Mother
LAURIE VELDHEER
Cinderella/Granny
VANESSA RESELAND
The Witch
PHILIPPE ARROYO

Jack/Steward
EVAN HARRINGTON

Baker
LISA HELMI JOHANSON
Little Red Riding-hood/Rapunzel
JOSHUA ARCHER
Ensemble
EVAN REES

Pianist
KATE MOORE

u/s Witch, u/s Baker’s Wife, u/s Cinderella
JAVIER IGNACIO

u/s Baker, u/s Mysterious Man
ALANNA SAUNDERS

Ensemble
SEAN PETER FORTE

The stage was covered in a collection of seemingly dissonant objects. At the center was a piano, surrounded by falling objects to the right and a grandfather clock and a bed to the left.

The cast began taking the stage, attendees quieted their voices until one member stopped and said, “You don’t have to quiet down. We haven’t started.”

Within minutes, the company took the stage for the opening of Act I: Prologue/“Into the Woods.” From there, the production moved into a series of character vignettes, starting with that of Cinderella trying to earn the right to attend the ball and Little Red Riding Hood, preparing to visit her grandmother.

The first showing of “Into the Woods” took place Tuesday at the IU Auditorium and was attended by students, staff and fans of theater alike. The Tony Award-winning show was brought to the auditorium by Fiasco Theatre and boasts just 10 actors and one piano.

Sophomore Ariana Ramon said she was familiar with the film before opening night but had yet to see the stage show.

“I really love ‘Into the Woods,’ and I really love seeing shows at IU because it’s convenient – great for the cost,” Ramon said. “I’m interested to see the sets, too.”

IU Jacobs School of Music alumnus Evan Rees acts as musical director and pianist for the show. He participated in Bloomington Playwrights Project’s “The Truman Show” during his time here and “The Visit” on Broadway.

Maria Talbert, managing director at the IU Auditorium, said there is a lot that makes this version of the classic show stand out and inspired the 
auditorium to bring it to 
Bloomington.

“We chose to present this production of ‘Into the Woods’ because of its creative reinterpretation, its artistic excellence and its beautiful story and score by Broadway legends James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim,” Talbert said in an email. “This is unlike any other musical on our season, and we know audiences will be swept away by this wildly-imaginative 
adaptation.”

“Into the Woods” follows the lives of a variety of familiar fairytale characters as they navigate through unconventional versions of their storybook lives. The themes present in this show take their roots in the classic nursery tales, which makes them all the more relatable, Talbert said.

“This story pulls from universally familiar fairytales like Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood and Jack and the Beanstalk and uses them as a springboard to talk about larger themes, like love, desire and unforeseen 
consequences of our actions,” Talbert said.

Talbert said the show resonates with a wide audience, including fans of stage and those who saw the film, starring such celebrities as Meryl Streep and Emily Blunt.

“‘Into the Woods’ appeals to a wide variety of patrons, and we expect our audiences to reflect that,” Talbert said. “The musical has always been a theatre-lovers (sic.) favorite, but it gained widespread popularity after the 
feature film was released over a year ago.”

Freshman Luke Staebler said he had seen both the film and one recorded version of the stage show and was interested to see the theatrical 
elements played out on a live stage.

“I’m just a really big musical theater fan, so any show I get to see, I’m down,” Staebler said. “I know for one of the songs, the wolf song, they use a treadmill to simulate the walking, so I’m very excited about that. The music is also iconic.”

Jacob Owens, a friend of Ramon and Staebler, visited the auditorium for the show after seeing “Rent” and said the programming always 
manages to impress.

“They bring some really awesome shows,” Owens said.