weekend

Recap: Grammy Awards 2017

ENTER MUS-GRAMMYS 315 LA

The Grammy Awards alway have their fair share of accolades and activism, and this year was no different. The 2017 show, however, was also plagued by technical issues, unfortunate snubs and botched performances. Luckily, current musical icons like Adele, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga and more redeemed the night with exciting performances and passionate speeches.

Adele opened the show with a performance of her hit “Hello” with near perfect vocals, as always, but when she came out for the second time to pay tribute to the late George Michael, something was off. “I’m sorry for swearing, and I’m sorry for starting again. Can we please start it again? I’m sorry,” said Adele, restarting the song. After the initial do-over, the British singer redeemed herself on the second attempt.

Adele was just the first of many pop queens to perform. Lady Gaga came ready to stun. She was rocking spikes, chains and fishnets galore. The singer-songwriter, who performed with Metallica at the show, made a red carpet entrance in an Alex Ulichny ensemble, complete with a barely there black leather jacket, patent leather shorts and shiny boots. Her outfit was a stark contrast from the bedazzled silver bodysuit she wore for her Super Bowl halftime show but worked well with the punk theme she upheld throughout the night.

Newer artists also made quite an impression during the show. Chance the Rapper made history with his win for the first streaming-only album to be nominated and win a Grammy, specifically Best Rap Album. His performance and acceptance speech for Best New Artist, his second win, exuded passion and positivity. “Glory be to God. I claim this victory in the name of the Lord,” Chance said in his speech.

James Corden added a much-needed dose of humor to the show, and his high-energy personality suited the Grammys well. He worked in a “Carpool Karaoke” bit, and equipped with a cardboard automobile cutout, Corden scanned the crowd for musicians to participate in a song. While few of the bigger artists seemed to be into the joke, Corden’s savior appeared in Blue Ivy Carter, who waltzed over and saved the bit.

The best performance of the night had to be Beyoncé‘s. Her set began with a long segment of stunning prerecorded visuals, putting Queen B’s pregnancy in the spotlight. She then performed incredible renditions of “Love Drought” and “Sandcastles,” complete with a large group of dancers and various elaborate set pieces. Her vocals were incredible, her outfit was dazzling, and her message was as poignant as ever.

This year’s Grammys were packed with tributes, surprising wins and 
passionate speeches. Bruno Mars brought down the house with a swoon-worthy tribute to Prince, and the bittersweet moments continued with multiple posthumous wins for David Bowie.

Adele left with a whopping five Grammys total. She beat out albums like Ariana Grande’s pop powerhouse “Dangerous Woman” and a number of albums by newer artists.

The biggest, most controversial snub of the night happened at the end of the show when Adele’s “25” beat Beyoncé‘s “Lemonade” for Album of the Year. She acknowledged that she wished “Lemonade” had won, and she even dedicated her award to Beyoncé.

Between the snubs, surprises and jaw-dropping performances, this year’s show left viewers with a lot of emotions. The 2017 Grammys may not have been music’s most flawlessly executed night, but it was certainly the craziest.