Five cases of mumps confirmed

Campus Filler

Five cases of mumps have been confirmed on IU’s campus since December, according to an email Wednesday from Provost Lauren Robel. The Centers for Disease Control has reported mumps cases are at a 10-year nationwide high with cases in 46 states in the last year.

Symptoms include fever, headache, muscle aches, tiredness, loss of appetite and swollen salivary glands under the ears. Students with symptoms, even if they’ve received a Measles Mumps and Rubella vaccine, are encouraged to stay home and call the IU Health Center at 812-855-5002 or 
855-303-2631 after hours.

The disease can be spread through contact with an infected person when they sneeze or cough. The infection can spread for two to five days after the first sign of symptoms. Symptoms appear for about 16 to 18 days but can still 
occur after that point.

Treatment for those already infected with mumps is focused on alleviating symptoms. Bed rest, a diet of soft foods and pain relievers are recommended.

IU is taking precautions to stop the spread of mumps. These precautions include offering immunizations to people who may have been exposed, according to Robel’s email.

Vaccination is the most effective method for preventing the spread of mumps. Being vaccinated with two doses of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine or MMR provides some protection, but according to Robel’s email, those two doses are only around 90 percent effective.