crime & courts

Couple arrested in Subway robbery

Region Filler

Police arrested two people Friday in connection with an armed robbery Wednesday at a Subway restaurant.

Gavin Combs, 38, and Shanelle Keo, 23, are both charged with felony robbery.

At about 4 p.m. Wednesday, police responded to the Subway at 1839 N. Kinser Pike, where a man wearing a ragged sweatshirt and toboggan hat had pointed a gun at the cashier. The employees fled to the back of the store, and the suspect grabbed the cash drawer from the register and ran.

One bystander told police they saw the suspect get into a white Mitsubishi passenger car with paper tags.

On Friday, Bloomington Police Sgt. Cody Forston said, detectives investigating the robbery located a white Mitsubishi with paper tags similar to a partial plate number given by the bystander.

Detectives stopped the car, which was registered to Combs, on State Road 37 south of the Bloomfield Road exit. Keo was driving the car. The detectives found she had an active warrant for failure to appear in court and arrested her. After arresting her, they searched the car and found a toboggan that appeared to match the one worn by the robbery suspect and several rolls of coins.

Keo told police she had driven Combs to Subway and he’d told her to pick him up in 15 minutes. As she started to pull away, she saw him run out of the store with the cash drawer and the gun. He got in the car and told her to drive quickly.

She said she had no prior knowledge of the robbery.

Around the same time, police went to Combs’s residence and saw him leave in a different vehicle. They stopped the car at the Bloomfield Road exit on SR 37 and arrested Combs.

Combs admitted to police he’d robbed the Subway. He said he’d told Keo, his girlfriend, he’d find a way to get some money to buy them heroin because she was going into withdrawal. Before going into the Subway he showed her a gun, which he said was a BB gun stolen from K-Mart and spray-painted black.

After the robbery he and Keo went to buy and use heroin, he said. The cash drawer contained about $400, all of which they spent on drugs. After buying the drugs, they abandoned the cash drawer.

He gave detectives the location of the gun, which was indeed a BB gun, Forston said.

Combs told police he knew what he did was wrong and poorly planned.

Keo and Combs were both taken to the Monroe County Correctional Center, where they are each held on $30,000 bond.

Jack Evans