Call for submissions open for 2017 Trashion Refashion show

Arts Filler

Every year, designers are encouraged to use conventional and unconventional materials to design outfits to showcase in the Trashion 
Refashion show.

The eighth annual show will take place at 7 p.m. April 9 in the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre and will feature any interested designers and artists interested in submitting pieces for the show, according to a news release from the show. The Trashion Refashion show offers designers and models the opportunity to showcase garments and fundraise for the Center for Sustainable Living. Trashion Refashion has raised thousands of dollars for the organization in the past.

The call for submissions will be open through March 1, and potential designers are encouraged to submit up to three individual or group designs via the show’s website, bloomingtontrashion.org.

The “Trashion” aspect of the show comes from the use of materials that can be considered trash, while the “Refashion” refers to the revamping of stained or out-of-fashion garments. Materials can range from empty cat food cans to bubble wrap.

The goals of Trashion Refashion, a grassroots effort, include fostering awareness of diversity by uniting designers and models across spectrums of age and background, including professors, university students, middle and high schoolers, and local artists.

The show also draws attention to the wasteful practices that lead to environmental harm and encourages use of materials that would otherwise occupy space at a landfill.

The show encourages interested participants to contact bloomingtontrashion@gmail.com for more details and submission requirements.