Tuesday, March 19

Bloomington provides various Black History Month events

IU students play fishbowl games of fact or myth during the “Black Love, Sex, and Everything Else” event Wednesday evening in the Neal Marshall Black Culture Center. Students enjoyed open dialogue, games of facts and fiction about sex, and discussions on relationship and gender norm stereotypes.

IU African American Choral Ensemble

Raymond Wise and the AACE will have a performance of gospel, blues, negro spirituals and black popular music and talk about the history of these musical traditions.

Time: 12 p.m. Wednesday

Location: IU School of Education Atrium 201 N. Rose Ave.

Black Excellence Alumni Panel

Black IU alumni will return to campus to share their post-graduate experiences with current students

Time: 5:30 p.m. Wednesday

Location: Neal-Marshall Bridgwaters Lounge.

The Divine Nine at Banneker

The Divine Nine community, nine black greek letter organizations that make up the National Pan-Hellenic Council, will introduce Banneker youth to black traditions. Participants will learn about the history of black greek letter organizations and their distinctive traditions. Director of Recruitment and Retention for Underrepresented Student Ghangis D. Carter will make speak at the event. He is also a member of Omega Psi Phi.

Time: 6:30 p.m. Thursday

Location: Benjamin Banneker Community Center 930 W. 7th Street, Bloomington

“Cracking the Codes: The Systems of Racial Inequity”

A new film by Shakti Butler, the director of “The Way Home: Women talk about Race in America,” will be shown at the Monroe County Public Library. The film, “Cracking the Codes; The Systems of Racial Inequity,” features the causes and consequences of systemic inequity and features personal accounts from racial justice leaders.

Time: 2 p.m. Saturday

Location: Monroe County Public Library

Diversity Law Day

Diversity Law Day allows those who register to participate in a mock trial with an IU law professor. The event is designed to allow others to experience the law and be exposed to the legal profession.

To register, vist http://bit.ly/1PPqYku

Time: 9 a.m. Saturday

Location: IU Maurer School of Law

Black Faculty and Staff Appreciation

IU’s black faculty and staff will be celebrated in partnership with the Black Student Union.

Time: 2 p.m. Sunday

Location: Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center

Second Baptist Church Black History Month Concert

Second Baptist Church celebrates National Black History Month with the church’s annual program with a keynote address by Monroe County Circuit Court Judge Valeri Haughton-Motley, music and more.

Time: 3 p.m. Sunday

Location: Second Baptist Church 321 N. Rogers St., Bloomington, IN

Black History Month Essay Contest Awards Reception

Parents, teachers, siblings, friends and community members are invited to Fairview Elementary as the winners of the 2017 Black History Month Essay Contest are honored. Awards will be presented in the elementary, middle and high school levels. Join the community in supporting these budding scholars. Refreshments will be served.

Time: 6 p.m. Feb. 21

Location: Fairview Elementary School 500 W. 7th Street

12th Annual City of Bloomington Black History Month Gala

The gala marks the end of the monthlong commemoration of black history. The evening includes live music by Ground Zero Indy, a silent auction and the presentation of the 2017 City of Bloomington Living Legend and Outstanding Black Male Leader of Tomorrow awards.

Time: 6 p.m. Feb. 25

Location: Hilton Garden Inn 245 N. College Ave.

Email: boxoffice@buskirkchumley.org

Tickets: $50 each.

Dominick Jean