crime & courts

Bloomington blotter: Hot mopeds and extreme wings

Region Filler

From a missing moped to a bar fight that allegedly involved an unusual weapon, a few odd and unexpected crimes were reported to the Bloomington Police Department this week. All of the following accounts were collected from BPD.

Stool or no stool?

Police responded at about 2 a.m. Feb. 17 to Kilroy’s Sports Bar, where the complainant told police he’d been hit with a bar stool during a fight. The victim was bleeding from his lower lip but otherwise uninjured, and he and his friend, who were both intoxicated, frequently interrupted each other while talking to police.

A security guard who saw the fight told police the victim and his friend had been pushing the suspect and that no bar stool was involved in the fight.

Not “freaky fast” enough

A man reported Sunday his moped was stolen after he locked it to a tree in the middle of Peoples Park while he went into the Jimmy John’s across the street. When he returned, the moped was gone. He told police he doesn’t want to press charges, he just wants his moped back.

The wrong kind of 
warm-up

Police arrested a Bloomington man Monday after he allegedly threatened to burn down a Planet Fitness. Jeffrey Riley, 45, was charged with intimidation after he reportedly got in an argument with gym employees, whom he wanted to cancel his membership.

During the argument, he became heated and threatened to burn down the gym with everyone inside. He later told police he didn’t plan to follow through on the threats.

Unearned wings

An employee of Wings Xtreme reported to police Wednesday a man at the restaurant had stolen $10 from the tip jar and then bought a meal.