Variety of arts programming will come to Bloomington in Spring 2017

Arts Filler

January

Jan. 9

The Arts & Humanities Council begins its series of events with the theme of “China Remixed” with a photographic exhibition in the lobby of the Herman B Wells Library. The exhibition is titled “Above Ground — 40 Moments of Transformation” and was organized by Chinese feminist Lü Ping. This event series explores the diversity of Chinese culture from mainland China and Taiwan to Hong Kong and the U.S. and is on display through March 10.

Jan. 15

“The Watsons Go to Birmingham” comes to the Buskirk-Chumley Theater for free. The film is presented by the Project School and follows an African American family that travels from Flint, Michigan, to Alabama in the summer of 1963 and faces harsh realities of the Jim Crow South. The film will be followed by a discussion on the Civil Rights Movement with a variety of guest speakers.

Jan 16

As a continuation of Bloomington’s involvement in the “One Million Stars to End Violence” campaign, the Mathers Museum of World Cultures will stage a weave-in from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Jan. 25

At 12:15 p.m. the Eskenazi Museum of Art will continue its programming associated with the Vik Muniz special exhibition with a Noon Talk titled “Art for Change: Vik Muniz as Activist.”

Jan 26

The 15th Annual Bloomington PRIDE Film Festival takes place starting at 7 p.m. in the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. The ticketed three-day festival explores the lives and experiences of the LGBT community through a combination of feature-length and short films.

Jan 28

The Dance Theatre of Harlem, a multicultural dance ensemble incorporating ballet elements, will visit the IU Auditorium. Dancers will be working with students across many IU campuses as part of a university residency program.

Jan 29

“Chinese Cinema Remixed” at the IU Cinema begins with a series of 20 films linked to mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. The films, presented by renowned scholars in double-feature format, will explore mash-ups of themes.

February

Feb. 1

Many sites across campus will participate in the “Videotage Cross-Campus Video Art Exhibit,” an exchange of Chinese video art from Hong Kong, Taiwan, mainland China and more. The IU-only event includes work from Isaac Lueng, video art from Hong Kong, the United Kingdom, and China, and features work by IU School of Art and Design student Arthur Liou. The event continues through March 10.

Feb. 2

The Eskenazi Museum of Art will focus on Black History Month during this First Thursday event.

Feb. 3

The Musical Arts Center will stage “Rodelinda,” the George Frideric Handel opera revolving around the life of a queen in a tough place. The show will run through February 11.

Feb. 3

“The Legend of Georgia McBride” will come to the Cardinal Stage Company through Feb. 19.

Feb. 19

The Eskenazi Museum of Art will focus its Art and a Movie series on the life of artist Jackson Pollock. The film, “Pollock,” stars Ed Harris in the role of Pollock and Marcia Gay Harden as his wife, artist Lee Krasner.

Feb. 22

The IU Auditorium will present shows along the Farewell Tour of “Mamma Mia” through Feb. 23.

Feb 24

Students from the Taipei National University of the Arts will perform under a joint bill with students of IU’s Contemporary Dance Program for a show at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Feb. 25

Beili Liu, visual artist and associate professor at the University of Texas at Austin, will stage a dual exhibition at IU with art at both the School of Global and International Studies atrium and the Grunwald Gallery of Art. She will also deliver an artist talk Feb. 22.

March

March 11

Chee Wang Ng presents his first solo exhibition at the Eskenazi Museum of Art. The show integrates conceptual photography, video and installation work, some of which is being shown for the first time, that the artist created to introduce viewers to the complexity of the immigrant experience and traditional Chinese culture. The exhibition is view through May 7.

March 17

This is the deadline for submissions for the Arts Fair on the Square, which aims to showcase high-quality fine art and craft and will take place in June. Artists are encouraged to apply to have their work showcased among the 110 artists displaying on the Courthouse Square in downtown Bloomington.

March 22

American astrophysicist and director of the Hayden Planetarium Neil deGrasse Tyson will speak in the IU Auditorium.

March 24

The Spring Ballet at the Musical Arts Center will be “L’amour et la mort,” a three-part dance and musical experience.

March 31

The Bloomington Playwrights Project presents “Calling All Kates,” a story of a jilted fiancé who must find another woman, named Kate McBride, to go on his honeymoon with him after his Kate McBride leaves him before the wedding. The show continues through April 15.

April

April 6

The Mathers Museum of World Cultures will present a visual tour of the 798 Art Zone, an urban arts colony in northeast Beijing that began as a military factory complex and now attracts worldwide attention.

April 6

First Thursdays this month will be dedicated solely to Chinese arts and humanities and will include celebration of culinary tradition, a concert of New Chinese Music, performances from various museums and art centers on campus and a night market.

April 7

The Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center invites audiences to see “All in the Timing,” winner of the John Gassner Playwriting Award. The show is a combination of comedic sketches that marry wit, intellect, satire and fun. The show runs through April 15.

April 12

The IU Auditorium will stage the show “Pippin” April 12 through April 13.

April 28

The Lee Norvelle Theatre and Drama Center will present “New Moves,” a student choreographers’ showcase led by students from the contemporary dance program.

April 30

Mary Wilson visits the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Wilson is best known as the member of the famous female trio “The Supremes,” which had No. 1 hits from 1964 to 1969. She now focuses her attention on humanitarian causes and has written an autobiography.

May

May 12

The Bloomington Playwrights Project presents “Happily Ever After,” a dramatic work that focuses on two parents put in the position of having to choose a gender for their child after the child is born with both sets of genetalia. The show runs through May 27.

May 21

Kris Kristofferson, three-time Grammy winner and mastermind behind 27 albums, visits the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.