sports track & field

Track and field set to face Tennessee in first meet of 2017

Sports Filler

It’s a new calendar year, but IU track and field hopes to continue its success that it had in its first meet of the season when it broke three school records.

IU Coach Ron Helmer said he was happy to see three school records broken in the first meet of the season and credits his coaching staff for preparing the athletes. On top of this, he said he also credits the athletes for going out, competing and executing well.

This time the team will host Tennessee in a dual meet which will be officially scored. The two teams faced off last season resulting in the Hoosiers taking down the Volunteers, 66-47.

Helmer said his team will be tested against a solid Tennessee squad, and as winter break is wrapping up this weekend he said he wants to see his team execute even after being off campus for three weeks.

“We need to make sure we have people that will continue success after being off for two weeks,” Helmer said. “The key for us is to remain focused, play hard, and execute well.”

Sophomores Willie Morrison, Katherine Receveur and Kyle Mau all broke the school records in the first meet and will look to continue their success against Tennessee.

“Our staff has done such a great job in training our guys, and you’ve seen that in Willie’s succes,” Helmer said. “The summer was good and the fall has been great. They’re getting stronger in the weight room and our athletes are hungry to get better.”

Helmer said his runners are prepared to compete against the Volunteers in the sprint and speed events, and he said he hopes the athletes competing in the field events will execute as they’re needed.

“It’s a funny matchup because they’re very sprint heavy,” Helmer said. “We’re really good at medium running distances. It’s all about matchups and if we can get some points here and there. We're pretty even in pole vault and long jump.”

The Hoosiers are set to take on Tennessee at Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse at noon Saturday and the dual will conclude around 3 p.m.