weekend

Weekend Spring Movie Preview: Magic, mutants and master builds

Beauty and the Beast

"Split" — Jan. 20

Three young women try to escape from a kidnapper named Kevin, who has multiple distinct personalities. This movie has a great cast led by James McAvoy as Kevin and rising star Anya Taylor-Joy as one of his victims. This looks like it will be the best M. Night Shyamalan movie in years.

“Rings” — Feb. 3

This sequel to “The Ring” finds a new generation encountering the infamous cursed videotape. It’s the perfect movie if you’re nostalgic for horror films from the early 2000s and love Vincent D’Onofrio.

“The LEGO Batman Movie” — Feb. 10

This spin-off to the delightful “Lego Movie” follows Batman as he tries to save the day and raise young orphan Dick Grayson. The trailers alone are filled with exuberant humor, and the film features cast full of comedy favorites like Will Arnett and Zach Galifianakis.

“John Wick 2” — Feb. 10

He’s back again. Keanu Reeves returns as everybody’s favorite dog-loving hitman. The body count may go even higher in this sequel, which is set in Rome and features the likes of Common and John Leguizamo. Fans of “The Matrix” will love that Reeves is reuniting with Laurence Fishburne.

“Get Out” — Feb. 24

Daniel Kaluuya of “Black Mirror” makes his leading man debut in this horror indie, where a black man runs into terrifying situations when he visits the home of his white girlfriend’s parents. This is the first horror film directed by Jordan Peele, who is mostly known for his comedic acting in “Key & Peele.” The first trailer makes it look like it could be the scariest film of 2017.

“Logan” — March 3

The “X-Men” franchise fast-forwards to a future where Wolverine and Professor X team up against an evil corporation and fight to protect a young mutant girl. A gritty trailer and lots of early buzz spell good things for Hugh Jackman’s final performance as Wolverine. Fans of the original franchise can’t miss this final installment.

“Beauty and the Beast” — March 17

Disney continues to bring dreams to life by adapting its classic 1991 musical into a sweeping live-action period piece. Original composer Alan Menken contributes new tunes in addition to all the songs we already know by heart. With an all-star cast including Emma Watson, Ian McKellen, Ewan McGregor, Emma Thompson and more, we’ve never been more excited to be their guest.

“Guardians of the Galaxy: Vol. 2” — May 5

The universe’s favorite superheroes are finally back. The long-awaited sequel looks like it will provide the first film’s classic blend of comedic bickering, action and heart. Add Elizabeth Debicki and Kurt Russell and we’re in for another space epic. Ooga chaka.