arts exhibits

Series of interactive exhibits open at I. Fell gallery during First Friday

Arts Filler

As part of this month’s First Friday exhibitions, the I. Fell gallery opened a show titled “Fell + One,” a grouping of local artists’ works that included interactive elements.

The art collection included the work of 13 working artist studios across many media, including jewelry, leather work and more, according to a press release by the As Good As Mine collective.

One of the local artists showing her work was Amy Burrell, an artist who contributed two distinctive interactive features to this month’s show.

One, called “Pendurador,” used a series of 17 hangers on pulley and rope, designed for viewers to hang their coat and allow the mechanism to contort with each new addition.

As a collaboration with other artists in As Good As Mine, Burrell also participated in the #YourGoddessIsAsGoodAsMine project, which incorporated store-bought fake flowers in the making of headdresses inspired by eastern Europe, according to the release.

Those who visit the exhibit during its run at I. Fell are encouraged to try on the headdresses, created with the idea of empowerment of the feminine. All those using Instagram to post content related to this exhibit were encouraged to use the project’s hashtag.

Another artist participating was Rubia Nicole Hagan, whose series of works called “Indulge” played with organic forms and the sense of smell.

Hagan’s work, shaped by dried gourds with lotus pods, were covered in layers of resin and paint to resemble blown glass forms. Hagan then added scents to the pods and allowed viewers to smell the pieces, according to the release.

The show will continue its run at I. Fell through January.