IU names new director of government relations

Campus Filler

IU has named Trevor Foughty as the new director of government relations and communications.

Foughty, an Indiana native who has worked in federal and state government and politics for more than a decade, will work to strengthen the University’s relationships with legislators and state and federal policy organizations, according to an IU press release.

He will serve as lead communications liaison for the government relations staff.

“We are thrilled to have Trevor Foughty join IU government relations,” Jeff Linder, associate vice president for state relations, said in the release. “Trevor will be a dynamic new addition to what is already a very talented, hard-working and successful team. His unique federal experience and communications skills make him the perfect fit to complete the IU government relations lineup.”

Linder announced the appointment Monday.

Foughty, according to the release, will report to Linder and work closely with the university’s state relations team.

Most recently, Foughty served as campaign manager for Sen. Todd Young, R-Ind., who was elected to the United States Senate in November. Before that position, he was deputy chief of staff and communications director for Young’s U.S. House of Representatives office.

He has also handled communications for the Indiana Republican Party as well as been involved with the political action committee of former Gov. Mitch Daniels.

Now, Foughty will have the opportunity to represent IU when working with government organizations and programs.

“For the past six years, I’ve had the opportunity to work with IU’s government relations office on numerous federal issues,” Foughty said in the release. “They are some of the best at what they do, and I’m excited to join their team. But more importantly, I’ve seen the positive impact IU has on the lives of so many Hoosiers — from students to medical patients and even to those serving in the military — and I’m honored to work for such an institution.”

Foughty earned a bachelor’s of Arts degree from Bethel College in Mishawaka, Indiana. He has been the assistant communications director for the Indiana Department of Education and the campaign manager for various state and congressional campaigns around the state.

Cody Thompson