IU plays host to Gladstein Invitational this weekend

spiutf

After beating both Tennessee and Purdue in recent weekends, IU women’s track and field will continue to face tough opponents this weekend in the Gladstein Invitational.

IU has been the host of this invitational in Bloomington since 2010. In this year's event, the Hoosiers will face Southern Illinois, Xavier, Cincinnati, Dayton, St. Norbert College and Alabama.

For invitationals every team’s athletes compete as individuals instead of as a team. The points earned from placing in an event are given to a singular athlete for an individual total instead of a team total. This is different from how points are collected in dual matches in which the points earned from placing in an event are collected as a team total.

IU will be competing in both types of meets throughout the season, but Head Coach Ron Helmer said this should not affect the performance of his team.

“The energy level in the dual meets is a little higher but the performances are what start to matter now, and there’s going to be some high levels of performances with really good athletes to come,” Helmer said.

After beating Tennessee and Purdue on consecutive weekends to begin the season, IU is ranked the No. 1 dual meet team in the country, according to trackandfieldnews.com.

“Being ranked is important to us because it gives recognition and validation for what we do, but early in the season it’s just something to talk about,” Helmer said. “As we grow through the season, if we can continue to have a good ranking, then we’ll be happy, but it doesn’t mean a whole lot right now.”

IU sits just three spots ahead Purdue, followed by five other Big Ten teams. IU will face off against its conference foes in a few weeks in the Big Ten Championship in Geneva, Ohio.

IU will not be leaving the state for the next five weeks. The Hoosiers will only be the hosts of meets and travel to South Bend, Indiana, for another invitational. Although Helmer admitted staying close to home does have its benefits, ultimately he said it should not affect the athletes too much.

“There’s a great advantage to staying home — not missing class, not missing any workout sessions, not missing any sessions in the weight room,” Helmer said. “It just minimizes the wear and tear a little bit, but it’s about the level of competition, more than what the environment is like.”