IU grants international research grants to professors

Four professors have earned grants from IU's President's International Research Fund. The fund awards up to $50,000 a year for international and collaborative projects. These projects are food production, refugee policies, language analysis and enhancing learning in the classroom for those visually impaired. 

"Through the President's International Research Fund, we aim to provide IU faculty with additional avenues to new and exciting partnerships and collaborations, as well as access to key resources they need to effectively pursue their research into important issues impacting our planet," IU President Michael McRobbie said in a press release. 

Ken Shao, an assistant professor of environmental health in the IU School of Public Health, is one of those whose research has been funded. He is researching inorganic arsenic in rice. Soil and water in some regions of China have been contaminated making it difficult to grow rice there, which is a staple of the country's food supply, according to the press release. 

Faridah Pawan, a professor of literacy, culture and language education in the IU School of Education, is studying how to incorporate English language education in Chinese minority populations.   The project’s goal is to explore national and regional language education policies and how these are reflected in the preparation of in-service English language teachers.

Alvin Rosenfeld, a professor of Jewish studies and English, has also had his research approved for a study, which will provide the foundation for provide recommendations on how local, state and federal agencies should handle the Syrian refugee crisis. A professor from the School of Informatics and Computing, Steven Mannheimer, also had his research into new tactile and audio graphic teaching strategies funded as well. 

These new techniques and strategies could enable enhanced learning for those who are visually impaired or blind, according to the press release. 

“This new research fund demonstrates IU and President McRobbie’s deep commitment to investing in innovative research collaborations, whether at home or abroad,” said Fred Cate, IU vice president for research, in a press release. 

Dominick Jean

More