IU commit Harry Crider talks IU football ahead of National Signing Day

Sports Filler

IU didn’t offer Harry Crider a scholarship until a little more than a month after he committed to Virginia, but about a week after that offer in Aug. 2016, he flipped his commitment to the Hoosiers.

The Columbus, Indiana, native out of Columbus East High School is a 247Sports composite three-star offensive lineman who ranks as the 18th-highest recruit in his home state and is the 13th-ranked center nationally. He shared some insight on his recruitment and eventual commitment to IU football.

Indiana Daily Student: Talk about when IU first expressed interest in you as a recruit and how you felt about that initial interest.

Crider: “They had some interest all throughout my high school career, but it actually really picked up after I committed to the University of Virginia. So, that’s when, I guess, they started realizing more about me. After I committed they got in contact with me, and I actually went over to watch a practice and got to talk with the coaches and that’s when they made their offer to me. So, that whole experience was tremendous for me because IU has always been a dream school for me so to get that opportunity finally was a relief.”

What led you to make the decision to choose IU instead of Virginia and the other schools that expressed interest in you?

“IU has always been a dream school, being from Indiana, obviously it means a lot to play for your home school. I had two siblings graduate from IU so it runs in the family and means a lot to continue on that tradition.”

What coaches played the most significant roles in your recruitment and how did they build their relationships with you?

“Coach Frey, the offensive line coach, was my main contact, especially going into that first practice. I got to see coach Frey in actual practice-like situations, so I got to see what practices would be like and what my experiences with a coach like him would be like. So, that’s when I really started to like him and like the IU program because I could tell it was a special program with special coaches and special people.”

What recruits did you talk to a lot about IU during your recruitment and what did those conversations entail?

“I know right after that practice I was in contact with Britt Beery, Bryant Fitzgerald and Derrius Mullins mostly. They contacted me through Twitter and Bryant and Britt were actually at the practice that I was at so that was pretty cool to experience that with those commits that were there. I could definitely feel the connection with those guys, especially the Indiana guys, and it would mean a lot to play with those guys. We kind of hit it off right off the bat so I knew it was a great group of people that I wanted to be with.”

With the coaching changes that have occurred recently, and National Signing Day less than a month away, what’s your outlook on the program as a recruit?

“Definitely a positive outlook. I think all these changes are great for the program. Tom Allen is obviously a tremendous coach and great person so as a recruit I feel blessed to be able to be under him and the new guys coming in. It all looks promising and there’s a tremendous upside with IU football.”

Have any schools in the past month tried to take advantage of the coaching uncertainty and flip your commitment?

“Yeah, Purdue mostly has picked up their interest, especially because they got their new head coach, too. They’ve been the main one to pick up interest, but I’ve told them I’m firm in my commitment and there’s just no place I’d rather go.”