IU looks to take down Minnesota for second time since 1968

Sports Filler

Last season IU wrestling took down Minnesota, 19-18. It was the first time the Hoosiers had defeated the Golden Gophers since 1968. This weekend, the Hoosiers will look to make it two wins in two seasons while getting their first Big Ten win against the No. 8 Gophers.

In the previous meeting between the two teams the Hoosiers believed they matched up well against Minnesota because many of IU’s strongest wrestlers were going up against some of Minnesota’s weakest. This season that feeling is the same.

Freshman 174-pound Devin Skatzka said he believes the team matches up well against Minnesota just like last season.

One difference for the Hoosiers this time around is the addition of 149-pound graduate transfer Chris Perez, who spent his first four seasons of college wrestling at Princeton.

For Perez, coming to the Big Ten has been a transition but an easier one due to his tough schedule at Princeton.

“We would wrestle three or four Big Ten duals every year, so I got to have the experience,” Perez said. “It’s a little different. There is more of a grind style where guys are coming in banging and hitting heads, so it’s a little different. It is nothing I haven’t seen necessarily. I have been around for a while at this point.”

Perez has transitioned well, and he is currently 2-0 in Big Ten competition and has two pins to his credit for the season.

Perez said there is always room to improve. He said he believes he could have been undefeated this season if it weren’t for a couple losses he wasn’t happy about.

The New York native will look to overcome those losses from earlier in the season while putting on a show in front of the Hoosier fans this weekend.

“When I am home and everyone is cheering, it gets me excited and gives me a little edge,” Perez said. “I like to feed off the fans. When you are out there and the lights come on you are putting on a show. It’s only you out there, so you have to do what you have to do to make it fun for everyone else.”

Perez moved to IU to pursue a graduate degree and to continue his wrestling career in the toughest wrestling conference in the country, which he said he loves to prepare for every weekend.

When the Hoosiers take the mat at 2 p.m. Sunday in the University Gym with a chance to knock off the No. 8 Gophers, Perez will be ready.

“For Big Ten duals, I love this,” Perez said. “The big matches are when I really get ready. I love the big competition — the better the competition the better I wrestle and the bigger the crowd the better I wrestle.”