Hoosiers fall to Purdue in Mackey Arena

Sports Filler

For the first time since 2004 and the fourth time overall, IU took the mat against Purdue inside Mackey Arena with hopes of spoiling the night advertised as “Mackey Mayhem.”

“It’s a cool atmosphere when you get people to come together for wrestling,” 157-pound sophomore Jake Danishek said. “It’s a sport that does not get a whole lot of love, so whether you are in a home or away atmosphere, it’s always cool to see people get excited for the sport.”

In a match that had many ups and downs for both sides, IU was unable to come out on top Friday. The Hoosiers dropped the match, 19-12, and fell to 7-4 on the season and 0-2 in Big Ten competition.

IU got off to a slow start with losses in the first three matches and trailed 9-0. IU came back to tie the match at nine and then again at 12.

With two matches remaining, the Hoosiers couldn't capitalize on their late surge and dropped the final two matches 13-3 and 3-1.

Despite the loss, No. 6-ranked senior 184-pound Nate Jackson continued his strong season. He picked up a 10-3 decision win against Tanner Lynde to extend his record to 21-2 and increase his point differential to plus 54 on the season.

Danishek got his first win against a ranked opponent this season. He defeated No. 12 Alex Griffin, 9-3, to improve his record to 16-6 on the season.

Despite the win, Danishek said he has higher expectations of himself and hopes to keep improving as the postseason approaches.

“It’s been a rough season thus far really,” Danishek said. “I’m not content with it, and there is still a lot of room to improve. Wins and losses don't matter until the postseason, so right now it is just taking what you can from each match and going back to the workshop. This match came away in my favor, but there is still a lot to take out of that match, a lot I can do to be better for my next match.”

IU will look to rebound when Minnesota comes to Bloomington for a contest at 2 p.m. Sunday in University Gym.

Last season, IU defeated Minnesota on the road by a final 19-18 to give the Hoosiers their first win against the Golden Gophers in 68 years. This time the wrestlers hope to make it two in a row in front of their home crowd.

“Going into any dual we go into a dual planning to win,” Danishek said. “The history of it I don't think anyone is thinking of. It’s just another dual meet. We are going to go in there, wrestle hard and try to win.”