Events planned in anticipation of IU bicentennial

Julie Snyder, along with Sarah Koenig of “This American Life” and one of the co-creators of the Peabody Award-winning podcast “Serial,” will speak on "Binge-worthy Journalism." (change first sentence, this doesn't make grammatical sense -cj) The talk at 5 p.m. March 31 at 5 p.m. will be followed by a question-and-answer session in Whittenberger Auditorium.

In anticipation of IU’s bicentennial and the 50th anniversary of the Hutton Honors College, the HHC is putting on three new events for this year. The events are a part of a series called “Many Worlds, One Globe.”

“The scope of ‘Many Worlds, One Globe’ is broad, spanning from diverse cultural customs to international matters, and ranging from artistic to scientific subjects,” said Andrea Ciccarelli, dean of the Hutton Honors College.

The series will include lectures, courses, workshops and other special events for several years, but for 2017 there are three events highlighted, according to an IU press release.

Kay Redfield Jamison, professor of psychiatry at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, will lead a discussion on mood disorders and artistic creativity at 4 p.m. Feb. 2 in the Whittenberger Auditorium.

Jamison is a researcher and author of books like “An Unquiet Mind: a Memoir of Mood and Madness,” which examine depression, mental illness and mood disorders.

Sarah Koenig and Julie Snyder will also be speaking at an event at 5 p.m. on March 31 in the Whittenberger Auditorium as well. They are co-creators of the award-winning podcast “Serial.” Their talk, “Binge-Worthy Journalism,” will be followed by a question-and-answer session.

Finally, Irshad Manji, founder of the Youtube channel, Moral Courage TV and author of several books, will visit IU on Oct. 2 and 3. She will speak at a lecture on Moral Courage TV and a public talk on “The Gender Dilemma and Public Life.” She has had a successful career in the Canadian television and printed press and has focused on the role of diversity in current society and the moral courage it takes to defend different ideas and opinions in our society.

The exact times and locations for Manji’s talks will be announced at a later date.

All events are free and open to the public.