crime & courts

Couple arrested for prostitution-turned-robbery

Region Filler

A Bloomington couple was arrested early Tuesday morning after allegedly participating in an instance of prostitution-turned-robbery.

April Honeycutt, 31, is charged with felonies for robbery and possession of a controlled substance and a misdemeanor for prostitution. Her boyfriend, 31-year-old Luis Perez, is charged with felony robbery and misdemeanor battery.

Officers were called at about 11:50 p.m. Monday to a convenience store on the 1100 block of West 11th Street, where a man told them a woman he had met on Craigslist had robbed him, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Steve Kellams said.

The man intended to have sex with the woman, who police later identified as Honeycutt, and they had parked at 12th Street and Illinois Street, Kellams said. However, they began arguing about money.

During the argument, a man, who police later identified as Perez, walked up to the car and began conversing in Spanish with Honeycutt. They both demanded money from the victim.

Perez began attacking the man, Kellams said. During the attack, Honeycutt took the man’s wallet. When he began fighting back Perez pulled out a handgun, and the two fled, the victim told police. The victim told police he was punched in the face during the altercation, but he was not seriously injured.

Officers identified Honeycutt based on her Craigslist post. They called Yellow Cab Co. to ask if any of its drivers had picked up anyone in the area and learned the couple had been picked up and taken first to a convenience store where they spent stolen money and then to the Motel 6 on North Walnut Street.

Police arrested the couple and found drugs on Honeycutt. They recovered no handgun, and Kellams said the investigation shows there probably was no gun. 

However, Honeycutt admitted to being an online prostitute and meeting the victim to have sex. Perez admitted to being at the scene and hitting the man.

They were taken to the Monroe County Correctional Center. The victim is not charged with patronizing a prostitute.

Jack Evans