Be sure to store

When it's time to pack up the dorm room, not every student wants to take all their belongings back home, especially if they live far from IU. Luckily, IU students have many options when it comes to storing their things during the summer.

Students may choose to ship items home, drive them home, stash them at a friend’s house or pack everything up in a storage facility in Bloomington. With many options, it can be difficult for students to determine the most reliable and affordable choice when they leave town.

Gabe Young, a junior from Oregon, decided against using a storage facility.

“From what I understand, they are expensive, and I was fortunate enough to have other people to help me out,” Young said.

Rentals typically range from $20 to $80 a month for units up to 10' by 10'. Larger units that you can store your vehicle in can cost up to $200 a month. 

Young stored his belongings last summer in his girlfriend’s house and shoved some things in his locker at the Jacobs School of Music.

Elizabeth Grubb, a junior from Texas, stored her belongings at her aunt and uncles’ house in Bloomington to save money on storage facility costs. If students don’t have relatives nearby, Grubb recommended they share a storage space with a friend to split the cost.

Still, not everyone has a friend or relative in Bloomington with extra space at home.

“We didn't have the space to keep everything at my house,” sophomore Keristen Lucero said.

Lucero moved out of her freshman dorm last summer. She chose to use a facility with Storage Express in Bloomington.

“I looked for one that was the cheapest,” she said.

Don’t wait to secure a spot at a storage facility, Lucero advised. She chose a unit in April.

“It made moving back to school so much easier,” Lucero said.

While a storage facility can be convenient, there are some important qualities to look for in a good facility, said an Indiana Self Storage Association spokesperson.

Protection from theft is most important, so look for a modern facility with good security and a property manager on site.

Before committing to a facility, take a tour to get an idea of its safety and quality. The Indiana Self Storage Association also suggests students choose a facility that is open at all hours for easy access.

No matter where students end up storing their possessions, the moving process is easier when everything is packed up well.

Hang onto cardboard boxes from packages that come in the mail because they come in handy for moving time, Young said. Above all though, don’t wait until the last minute to pack and store everything.

“Do it before finals week,” Lucero said.